Just because you are home doesn’t mean you have to stop the progress you are making with physical therapy or even start physical therapy in the first place! At Girl Fit Physical Therapy, we are prepped and ready to continue to provide you the quality care you need through Telehealth (or Telemedicine) virtual Physical Therapy visits.
And guess what?! It is NOW COVERED BY YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY the same as an in person visit!
So, what does Telehealth or Telemedicine Physical Therapy mean?
Telehealth, or telemedicine, uses electronic communication to remotely provide health care information and services.
As our Newton and Greater Boston community is responding to COVID-19 this is a great option to still get the physical therapy or sports medicine care that you and your family need! At Girl Fit Physical Therapy we are using Zoom.us as our HIPAA compliant platform to reach our patients and clients to help continue to progress you to your strongest self!
What can your PT or physical therapist do during a Virtual Telehealth Physical Therapy session?
- Prescribe Exercises and Provide You With Visual and Verbal Cues: Your physical therapist can improve the form of your prescribed exercises to maximize the recruitment of intended musculature through cueing. These cues can be provided visually or verbally through the video call as well as through screen sharing.
- Measure Your Goals & Progress: Your physical therapist will continue to assess your progress towards short and long term goals. Through our video calls your PT can continue to assess your balance, timed tests (think plank and glute bridge holds!), and your ability to maintain form with multiple repetitions of chosen functional exercises.
- Symptom Management: You may be experiencing a new symptom or increased pain since your last physical therapy visit. Through a video platform you and your physical therapist can problem solve what in your daily life or activities are causing these symptoms and a solution to decrease pain or symptoms. Your physical therapist is an expert in self management, thus they can teach you how you at home can decrease your pain an
- Evaluate and Assess Movement: Your physical therapist will still have the ability to assess your movement whether it is something that is functional that you are doing daily or one of your exercises. Many times watching your movement tells us much more about your strength than a regular muscle test. We still have the ability to watch your movement from multiple views and angles to assess that you are optimizing your movement patterns for decrease and symptoms and progress.
- Increase Motion & Decrease Tightness: Your physical therapist can guide you throughout stretching, self mobilization, or mobility exercises to perform at home to increase the range of motion at appropriate joints.
- Update and Progress Home Program: Have you been an all-star at your home program with more time at home the past few days? Have you noticed your home program feels less challenging than before? Your physical therapist can work with you to appropriately progress your exercises and movement so you can continue to work towards your long term goals.
Want to be ready to jump straight back on the field, court, or dance floor when the time is right?! We can help you do just that! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your virtual appointment with one of our physical therapists today.